preview in wallpaper dialog

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Aug 12 19:01:11 CEST 2010

On Thursday, August 12, 2010, Marco Martin wrote:
> On Thursday 12 August 2010, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On Thursday, August 12, 2010, Marco Martin wrote:
> > > recapping:
> > good summary.
> >
> > > in the end, if a little live preview is needed should be up
> >
> >  to the
> >
> > > wallpaper implelentation.
> >
> > yes.
> >
> > > the attached patch is a first quick and dirty implementation of
> >
> >  tat:
> > > the need of the monitor is decided by Wallpaper::setNeedsPreview(bool)
> > > that at the moment is default off
> >
> > may setPreviewDuringConfiguration? yes, long, but also very clear :)
>
> yes, indeed, would still prefix the getter with needs tough?

true...

> >  Image would have it off, slideshow on, mandelbrot and barble
 on and

> > > whatever each individual wallpaper needs it or not.
> >
> > again: why does slideshow need it? it just shows a random image from the
> > mix you add. i don't see how it is actually useful?
>
> maybe if the image switches every 2-3 seconds could give an overview of
> what those folders contain.

personally i'd prefer an icon view showing all entries ... that would be
actually useful as you could see all the images in the collection. with
delayed "only render what is visible" like we have already in the
 SingleImage preview case it hopefully should not be a problem.

> i have a local patch that partly implements it already :p
>
> now the
 thing is:
> some of the pattern images make sense painted a single time, some are very
> timy and need to be tiled several times to make sense.
> so, the question is: usual problem of not being able to use Wallpaper
> itself to generate thumbnails and the tile generation have to be
> duplicated in the code just for the thumbnails?

it's a one-liner in QPainter to tile a pixmap, so i don't think it's a big
 deal :)

humru othro a kohnu se
GPG Fingerprint: 8B8B 2209 0C6F
 7C47 B1EA  EE75 D6B7 2EB1 A7F1 DB43