New property proposal for StatusNotifierItem protocol: Label

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Thu Aug 12 14:16:54 CEST 2010

On Wednesday 11 August 2010 22:01:24 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On August 11, 2010, Marco Martin wrote:
> > I think in some cases we could want applet not going away, like lionmail,
> > even if i have kmail closed i could want lionmail continuing to notify me
> > about emails
>
> true; in that case the user could just add lion mail themselves, no? (which
> would supress the addition of another one for the KSNI..) or the KSNI could
>  come from akonadi itself?

I like the overall idea, but the above is not very nice as there's suddenly a
difference between programmatically added items and manually added ones --
confusing to the user.

I'll let your idea sink for a bit, it does sound like a neat idea (though
maybe not quite for the Lion Mail usecase).

That one is now in the systray just like network and battery. The icon only
shows up when there's new email in its configured folder, and empty it's at
~200k in mem consumption, so not that bad.

Have a nice weekend, I'm away for a festival until Sunday ...
--
sebas