preview in wallpaper dialog

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Aug 11 23:07:37 CEST 2010

On Wednesday, August 11, 2010, todd rme wrote:
> I would say the mandlebrot wallpaper also benefits from this, since
> you can see how the colors you select work in practice.  Although it

easy enough with an in-line preview, but in practice i don't find it a
necessity. the colours are fairly obvious and hitting "apply" shows me what
 the real thing is going to end up looking like.

> Similarly, the starfield wallpaper preview lets you see what effects
> its
 settings have.  but once again it may be a good candidate for
> putting the preview above or below the other settings.  This would be

yes.

> The virus wallpaper is in the same boat as the starfield wallpaper

 since users would also likely want to know how their settings affect
> its behavior, but having a live preview of it is not as feasible due
> to the layout,

the virus previewer isn't particularly useful. it shows some viruses eating
a tiny paper. it doesn't do much in the way of showing the actual, real,
 final effect.

> and putting live previews in ever image int he
> background selector would
 probably require too much in the way of
> resources.

yes

> As for making the configuration like the images one, I think that

 would be good, but it would only be an adequate replacement for the
> preview if the images in the list of patterns automatically updated to
> reflect changes in the color settings.

they don't do that now, and doing so requires rendering the full paper with
things such as scaling preferences. is the live preview really that
valuable? there is an apply button in the dialog, and i can usually imagine
what "black" or "blue" looks like; knowing the full effect usually requires
 seeing it full screen anyways ime.

humru othro a kohnu se