New property proposal for StatusNotifierItem protocol: Label

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Aug 11 19:58:01 CEST 2010

On August 11, 2010, Ivan Čukić wrote:
> > Most likely, we won't use KNotifierStatusItem for KMail's message
> > indicator, but a proper Plasmoid though -- Lion Mail. The email count is
> > currently in a
>
> This is a strange decision - what about users that want to use kmail
> with some other DE?

i had a really rather nasty idea the other day for these kinds of
 situations:

we could put a key/value entry into KSNI's from our apps that can be
serviced by a plasmoid, e.g. "Plasmoid" = "lionmail" and when that status
notifier appears, the system tray could instead instantiate the "right"
 plasmoid if it is installed.

beauty of that is:

* it's backwards compatible with both xembed and status
 notifier system trays
* it allows the plasmoid to come and go with the app, just as system tray
 icons do
* if the plasmoid isn't installed, it would still Just Work (falling back
 naturally to the standard status notifier icon)
* it would make these apps shine in plasma shells

ugly of that is:

* it's a hack attached to status notifier
 :)

thoughts?

humru othro a kohnu se
GPG Fingerprint: 8B8B
 2209 0C6F 7C47 B1EA  EE75 D6B7 2EB1 A7F1 DB43