New property proposal for StatusNotifierItem protocol: Label

Ted Gould ted at canonical.com
Tue Aug 10 20:40:20 CEST 2010

(I just snipped everything else, because I agree this is the heart of
the matter)

On Tue, 2010-08-10 at 11:21 -0700, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On August 10, 2010, Ted Gould wrote:
> > And to overlay text is also non-ideal because making
> > the text readable
>  requires basically having no icon at all.  So if we
> > want to provide precise information in a panel visualization, I think
> > that we really need text to be able to provide that.
>
> and that is the heart of the matter: i don't think we need to, nor want to,
>  try to provide precise information via status notifiers.
>
> (there are other more appropriate APIs for that)

I think that's were we're coming at this from different positions, we
don't have another API for it.  Whether we should try and adopt the
Plasma Applet API is a discussion for another time, but we simply don't
have one right now.  So, the question becomes: how do we manage these
tasks the user wants to do?

It seems to me that most of them can be handled adequately by adding the
label, so implementing or adopting a new API simply more complex than
what we need.

I don't think that the label is ideal, and I agree with many of the
issues that you've pointed out.  And surely, it will allow application
developers who have no taste to exploit the system.  But, I think given
the choice (from our perspective) of adding a new API or adding a label
the label makes more sense.

		--Ted