Plasmoids for KDevelop's project dashboard

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Aug 6 17:18:25 CEST 2010

On August 6, 2010, Aleix Pol wrote:
> Why isn't it fine to have such a little subset of simple widgets?

because we may want to swap them out for others ones in the future. other
 downstream compilations may as well.

> one to
> display text, one to display pictures and one to display web
 should be
> fine.

if we implement something that lets us say "which display text", "which
display pictures" then we're a long way towards offering this. saying "load
 the applets called notes" isn't a good long term strategy, though.

so whether or not there are a "base set" made available or not, we need to
allow applications to reference them without relying on specific details
 like the names of the actual installed widgets.

to be clear: i don't want to have to go changing code in N different
applications just because we swap out "notes" for "org.kde.plasma.notetaker"
 or whatever.

> Well for that matter I will need to have the newspaper container
 available
> too, if I can't rely on having it installed I'm screwed.

we've already committed to that, but it will be an implementation detail
hidden in the KPart. it should not be relied on always being there: we may
change it out for a different implementation in the future, e.g. another
 reason to use the KPart which hides these things.

humru othro a kohnu se
GPG Fingerprint: 8B8B 2209 0C6F
 7C47 B1EA  EE75 D6B7 2EB1 A7F1 DB43