Plasmoids for KDevelop's project dashboard

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Thu Aug 5 19:29:45 CEST 2010

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 7:07 PM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:

> On August 5, 2010, Aleix Pol wrote:
> > I will need to filter the plasmoids that we can add to the dashboard
> > because our configured file will be versioned and we need to have some
> > common denominator, so having a list of such would be a nice start.
>
> if i understand what you need correctly, this will indeed be a common issue
> among applications, and i think it requires (at least to do it
> non-hackishly
> :) to be able to tag plugins with information that can be used in a generic
> fashion .. e.g. tagging the notes plasmoid in some way  such that KDevelop
> will be able to know that it is useful to it, without the notes plasmoid
> having to actually say explicitly "use me in KDevelop" (since other apps
>  will also want it, apps the notes plasmoid author doesn't know yet)

Well, a good start would be the plugins that will be found in any
installation (as I understood, some applets should be moved to
kdebase/runtime and it would be great to know which one are these).

> > Also I need to have a plasmoid that displays information like the
>  "Notes"
> > coming from the arguments passed by the 2nd parameter in ::addApplet(),
> is
> > there any that does that or it should be created?
>
> notes applet already does that, but only if a file is passed in .. which
> makes it a bit dodgy. that bit of the framework really ought to be
> re-thought out somewhat. right now we just pass in a string as the second
>  arg and it is assumed to be a file. i was never very happy with that.

We could twist that a little and make it like... if it's a URL then it's a
file and if it's a String then it's text. I could do that if you want so.

Is there anyone using these arguments anyway?