toolbox (and applethandle?) architecture rewamp

Giulio Camuffo giuliocamuffo at gmail.com
Sun Aug 1 11:01:10 CEST 2010

> * ControlElement: a class that implements the idea of a control element.
> each subclass would implement something like "launch configuration" or
> "rotate". subclasses would be tagged with a semantic enum much as we have
> in
>  AbstractToolBox::ToolType. ControlElement would accept input events.
>
> * AbstractHandle: a class that would paint and manage a handle along with
>  zero or more ControlElements
>
> then ... an AbstractHandle (or a subclass of it, really) would be assigned
> QGraphicsWidget(/Object?). when being shown, it would check to see if the
> controlElement property exists on the object. if it does, it would request
> those ControlElements and use them to figure out which ones to show (e.g.
> it
> might avoid geometry changing elements) and pass on input events to those
>  elements as appropriate.

Interesting approach, i like it.
There's just a thing i'm not sure i understood well. You said to check if
there is the controlElement property. Do you mean having a property for each
control element the widget accepts?

> Giulio: since you are the one most affected by the "usable with any
> QGraphicsWidget/Object" issue, would you be interested in taking on the
>  design of ControlElement?

Tomorrow i'll go away for something like three weeks, so I won't be able to
do anything until the end of august, but after that i'm certainly interested
in doing this.

Cheers, Giulio