system tray work

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 18:47:50 CEST 2010

On Thursday 29 April 2010, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > > * increased consistency in interaction; i really dislike krandr's
> > > window now
> >
> > the icon, context menu or the kcm than gets open?
>
> the icon is the obvious one but i know that will be worked on. it's more
> the rest of the interaction: it's the only one that opens a full window
> when left- clicked, that window doesn't get focus (often it's hidden in
> the back of other windows for me), each click pulls up a new copy of the
> window, the menu doesn't work when the window is showing .. and of course
> the UI is really not user friendly in general.
>
> this really has little to do with the system tray work, though, other than
> the icon.

probably it has to do a little (window not being raised on top and opening
more copies sounds pretty much at that level) other than that yes, never liked
the ui of that kcm :)

> > * klipper.
> > right now Fredrik has an almost-complete port to kstatusnotifier, however
> > there is a feature that can't be ported to it:
> > the klipper menu can be opened with a keyboard shortcut, and is possible
> > to set it to open at the systray position or at mouse cursor position.
> > with kstatusnotifier is possible only to open it at mouse cursor
> > position, since you can't know the icon position.
>
> could the KStatusNotifierItem request the menu to be shown, and then the
> visualization could do the work? this "breaks" when there is more than one
> visualization and would mean adding a feature in the spec that is pretty
> highly specific to one item..
>
> *thinks*
>
> another option would be add a feature to the system tray itself that allows
> assigning a keyboard shortcut to any icon. then klipper doesn't need to
> implement that feature (and can just keep the "open at the mouse cursor
> position" feature).

i think i like more the second option.
the only problem is that the ui for it would be rather clunky (there would be
two distinct shortcut configurations in 2 different places that do almost the
same thing)

Cheers,
Marco Martin