javascript animations

Artur Souza (MoRpHeUz) morpheuz at openbossa.org
Thu Apr 29 01:16:42 CEST 2010

Hi Aaron!

On Wednesday 28 April 2010, 15:14 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> we now have themable animation support in libplasma. one of the things
> we've been dreaming of since the original Animator class was born has come
> true, though there have been a few twists and turns to get here such as Qt
> Kinetic appearing and using Javascript for the theming.

That's great! :) I'll provide just a little bit of (not so useful) feedback
because I'm running out of time for some tasks here, sorry for not being able
to give a proper one :(.

> * a desktop theme can include one or more JS scripts in the animations/
> subdirectory. each file can contain multiple animation definitions, each of
> which must be registered by calling registerAnimation(String name, Function
> func) in the script

This seems a lot the way how you export QObjects to QML for example, so maybe
this is a sign that it's a good approach (or that crazy people just took the
same approach by accident :P).

> * fallback themes (aka "theme inheritance") is supported for this

Great!

> * scripted animation registration is "first come, first serve" so until the
> theme is changed, animations can not overwrite each other. this should keep
> things a sane (e.g. fallback themes won't overwrite existing anim defs)

Makes sense....

> your feedback is wanted since once 4.5 is out, we'll be "stuck" with the
> above.

Do you have anything in mind for using QML in themes? As QML can also define
animations, I was wondering how it would conflict/help with the JS Animations ?

Cheers!

Artur Duque de Souza
openBossa
INdT - Instituto Nokia de Tecnologia