SoC Updates -- Kontact and Skrooge Plasma Dashboards

Ryan Rix ry at n.rix.si
Fri Apr 23 07:32:24 CEST 2010

One and all,

Siddharth (who is working on Skrooge's Plasma dashboard) and I (who is
currently working on integrating Plasma into a Kontact summary page) just
wanted to send a quick update about our shared progress on our summer of
code projects. We are currently working on a generalized KPart that any
application can use to embed plasma into their application, with minimal
effort or knowledge of plasma.

We're currently working through a few issues at the moment:

We currently have a lot of dependencies in kdebase-workspace. This is a
big no-no as we don't want to require that any application that uses this
kpart to require kdebase-workspace. This leads us to a few interesting
conundrums that we'll need to be working through.

* I'm currently reimplementing the WidgetBrowser in
workspace/libs/plasmagenericshell as KMenu inside of our source directory.
Rather than having the add widgets piece exist as it currently is as a
Plasma::view, having it as a kmenu affords us a few more options as to
where it can exist.

* Siddharth is currently working on eliminating our other dependencies,
namely the config dialogs.

After that, we get to a really interesting situation: containments.
Currently all the contianments are in kdebase-workspace, where they
/probably/ should be. Of course, that means that we currently cannot
depend on any of them being there, including the one that I was most
likely to use in my SoC project, the newspaper. This leaves us in a sticky
situation -- the other roots we've sewn into kdebase-workspace can get
pulled out. However, we _need_ containments, so we end up either finding a
way to move them without upsetting a bunch of other things/people, or
duplicating the code within the KPart, which I am completely against doing
-- application developers should be able to choose any of the containments
we have made, and not be limited to one particular containment. Any
suggestions from the plasma folks are much appreciated on this issue (and
the whole thing, really). Another similar one will be plasma applets,
though they are probably less problematic, I'd think. Only the ones that
we'd like to share between the dashboards and the main shells would need
to be moved.

I'm fairly sure that those are the biggest issues facing us right now,
once they are out of the way, it should be smooth sailing for us!
Altogether, I think that there must be a solution _somewhere_ in the heads
of my fellow coders :)

Best
Ryan Rix

--