Reviewing Plasma themes

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Tue Apr 13 20:29:46 CEST 2010

On Monday, April 12, 2010 18:10:51 Artur Souza (MoRpHeUz) wrote:
> > The list of widgets makes in its current form makes it hard to both
> > explore the widgets you have and finding one particular widget you
> > need at the moment. Exploring the widgets is inconvenient, because you
> > have to mouse-over every one of them to read what they are doing.
> > Finding a particular widget is hard, because the icons are not always
> > self-explanatory (and sometimes several widgets share icons) and text
> > with the name of the widget is in small font (and again, sometimes you
> > need to re-check the description to be sure that this widget is the
> > one you're looking for) and gets clipped for long names..
>
> I don't see how the old widgets explorer was better in managing this
> issues...actually, in most of them it was worse.

Hm, I thin I see the point, it's easier to scan a vertical list of text , which is
something you can't do with the new widget explorer. Using it horizontally makes this
impossible. It's actually a bit better when you start the widget explorer on a
vertical panel, as you then also get vertical scrolling behaviour (which is also more
common for list-like views). For vertical panels, it might work better to put the
text on the right next to the items (and maybe make the widget names a bit bigger),
it looks a bit messy with the center-aligned icons w/ text below them right now.

Maybe the widget explorer should just slide out from the side instead of from whever-
the-panel-is. It's not tied to the panel anyway in that it operates on it (like the
panel controller, which uses the same UI paradigm, slide-out-from-panel-over-full-
length does).
--
sebas