Reviewing Plasma themes

Markus kamikazow at web.de
Tue Apr 13 16:12:08 CEST 2010

> 1. Most of popular themes (I reviewed the themes bundled with Plasma
> and some highest rated/most downloaded themes from GHNS) have
> usability problems. I was surprised to see either black text on dark
> background or white text on light background in so many themes.

I think part of the problem is that many themes were written for older Plasma
versions and don't work well with recent releases.
Maybe there should be a was to tag them as unmaintained / deprecated /
incompatible.

> 2. Plasma is still unstable. I had more than a dozen crashes of Plasma and
> KWin.

For me this seems to occur in conjunction with compositing. For some reason
everything that accesses Plasma and/or KWin functions (plasma-desktop,
krunner, kmix) just quits without any error message.
Try other drivers. A recent NVidia driver update seems to resolve most
problems for me, even though I still understand why drivers make Plasma quit
(crashes I could understand..).

> 3. Widgets are clumsy. Arranging them took some time and made whish to
> punch my monitor, because widgets tend to jump back after I resized
> and/or moved them.

I think this is supposed to be a feature.