Plasma-Netbook Mockups

Markus kamikazow at web.de
Sat Apr 10 15:58:01 CEST 2010

Am Samstag 10 April 2010 02:52:48 schrieb Artur Souza (MoRpHeUz):

> > Compare Apple's early PowerBooks (eg.
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Powerbook_duo_2300c.jpg ) to a modern
> > netbook: No, not different at all (from a usability standpoint):
> > 9" screen for display and keyboard + touchpad for input. If sold today,
> > everybody would call them netbooks.
>
> Exactly and that's the problem. Netbooks are not regular notebooks or
> desktops and that's what is most frustrating for users. Vendors put the
> same software that is supposed to run on desktops on that tiny screen and
> users have a horrible experience and then they blame the hardware, and it
> is not the problem. This is the reason most users return their netbooks to
> stores.

I'm not sure if either you misread or I wasn't clear. My point is the complete
opposite: Apple has 25+ years of experience with GUIs on small screens .
The whole Mac GUI is designed around small screens up to a point that it works
bad on big screens (a global menu bar isn't fun on 30" screens).

> The solution ? They started doing netbooks with bigger screens =/

That's the "solution" for Windows. I wasn't talking about Windows.

> From my POV it
> seems that your ideas are a little bit biased by the fact that you used
> (and liked - and there is no problem at all with it) for a long time Mac
> OS(X)

That's what I openly stated from the beginning. I could've said "Look which
great ideas I have and I had them completely on my own." but that would be
dishonest.
And who isn't biased in any way? We're all the sum of our experiences. ;-)

I'm not a Mac fanboy. I switch operating systems and desktop environments as
often as other people change their underwear. ;-)

Btw, of my proposals only two are based on Mac OS: The "Application Menu" and
the global menu bar.
Window buttons on panel is a tweak of an idea posted by KDE's Stefan Majewsky:
http://majewsky.wordpress.com/2010/03/24/the-kwin-button-applet/

PS: I don't know what you did, but could you please fix your mail client?
Whenever I "reply to list" in your mails, the reply address is your private
address and not plasma-devel at kde.org