Plasma-Netbook Mockups

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 23:26:09 CEST 2010

On Friday 09 April 2010, Luis Fernando Planella Gonzalez wrote:
> I had commented on the original blog archive, and I'll continue discussion
> here.
>
> Well, maybe I'm an exception, but I don't follow the "netbook users
> run a single application at a time". For instance, many times I have
> firefox, dolphin, konsole, amarok, gimp (yes, gimp, with a wacom
> tablet attached) running at the same time in a 10.2" netbook, with
> 1024x600 resolution and 2GB RAM. And it works well with Kubuntu Lucid
> beta.
>
> Here is an explanation for the points i've stated in that comment:
>
> * I'd rather have a task manager which shows only icons for background
> apps and the title and maximize / restore buttons for the foreground
> app replacing the current activity switcher, which takes more than
> half of the available screen width. And I agree with Markus that the

luckily, everything is customizable, and is possible to have a regular taskbar
there

> clock should be by default in the extreme right side. It's where users
> of all platforms expect to see a clock and a system tray. Also, in the
> current form, depending on the window title length, the clock position
> changes, and keeps "jumping" when switching applications.

nope, it's in a fixed position in trunk.
the point is that the close button has to be up there, because an action (that
is always here) to be in th corner of the screen, it "wins" against a clock
that has a content merely informational

> * About the single / double click: Search and Launch is there
> basically replacing the menu. It doesn't makes sense to make it honor
> the single / double click settings, which is supposed to be to
> navigate in files. In files, 1 click selects, 2 clicks open. In the
> SAL, 1 click does nothing. Having it honoring the setting is just like
> making Kickoff requiring double clicks to navigate in menus. This is
> the same complaint I have with system settings: if I choose double
> clicks to navigate in files, the system settings also requires double
> clicks.

that is a bug and will be fixed :)

> * About the "texts" in SAL: if someone which has never seen it is
> shown just a screenshot, like the first one presented in the article
> (http://kamikazow.wordpress.com/2010/04/09/plasma-netbook-mockup), he
> sees some icons on top, a search box, some other icons and widgets at
> the bottom. There is no obvious statement that: "these are the
> favorites", "here are the applications", and so on. On Kickoff,
> there's the "Favorites" and "Applications" tab. The ubuntu netbook
> remix has the sections on the left side. Having such an indication
> would be more intuitive.

there could be labels, however after they make "discover" what thise are are
for (the first uhm, 3 seconds of use), they become just wasted space and
visual noise

--
Marco Martin