Anti (gran)parents panel removing

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Apr 7 20:16:08 CEST 2010

On April 7, 2010, Ryan Rix wrote:
> On Wed 7 April 2010 10:29:21 am Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > that's a sure way to piss off everyone who doesn't want a panel. the
> > ability  to run plasma-desktop without panels is a feature, one that was
> > requested for kicker years and years ago as well in fact.
>
> The idea s _only_ when someone goes to add a panel and there isn't already
> one.... rather than installing a blank one, the first panel added would
> have the default widget set.

erf.. that was too much "aaron thinking about kicker, writing about plasma"
going on. let me try again, this time more clearly: with kicker people would
run alternative panels like kasbar. they didn't want that default panel at
all. but they had no choice. fail.

now they do. the birds whistle and life is happy. it's very easy to set this
up even: remove the existing panel, add a new one, configure it to your
liking.

with the suggested solution, trying to have a non-default-type-panel set up
"the plasma way" will be highly annoying: remove the existing panel, create a
new one to set up "my way" and ... i get a default panel all over again! arg!

> > add panel -> Panel With Default Widgets. that would either run a small
> > javascript or just suck in an exported appletsrc snippet; perhaps both.
>
> Which... is probably about what Alex had in mind :)

it would achieve what he wants, yes.

humru othro a kohnu se