global menu bar for gsoc

Michael Zanetti michael_zanetti at gmx.net
Tue Apr 6 22:16:05 CEST 2010

On Sunday 04 April 2010 22:17:23 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On April 4, 2010, Ivan Ruchkin wrote:
> > Why can't we just take the dbus client-server mechanism from Bespin and
> > XBar? Menubar containment will serve as server and every application as a
> > client.
>
> that's certainly a possibility. always nice to avoid reinventing the wheel.
> i haven't looked at how Bespin does it exactly, yet, so have to reserve
> some judgement.

Since this topic is currently discussed I think it makes sense to share a
patch that extracts the client side of bespin and applies to the oxygen
kstyle. As I'm a user of the global menubar but like oxygen better than bespin
I have made this patch some time ago and I'm using it without major problems.
Maybe it will save you some time looking at how the bespin model works. (Note:
this is just the client side. You still need the X-Bar plasmoid from bespin)

I might add that there is another problem to think of. Some applications like
KDevelop or rekonq modify the menu bar. Perhaps it would make sense to think
also at those cases while making a decision how to design the global menu bar.

Cheers,
Michael