Akonadi Calendar Dataengine

Frederik Gladhorn gladhorn at kde.org
Tue Apr 6 19:28:29 CEST 2010

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> On April 6, 2010, Frederik Gladhorn wrote:
>> Requests to it have to have the form: "calendar:yyyy-mm-dd:yyyy-mm-dd"
>> where the two dates are a range.
>
> could we replace calendar: with events:?
sounds good to me (done)

> another concern is that if you have two calendars viewing similar data,
> the data won't get shared. e.g. if one calendar is viewing march and the
> other one april, it would be nice if the DataEngine would not duplicate
> the dates on each side of march and april (to show "spill over" between
> the two months).
>
> would it be possible instead (additionally?) to support:
>
> events:2010:week50
>
> this would mean the calendar would have to request 6 sources instead of 1
> in many cases, but it would ensure the data is shared as much as possible.
>
> it would also mean that when switching from march to april, only 4 weeks
> of data would need to be fetched instead of 6.

Yes, we just need to decide on a good format. Internally it uses models that
akonadi supplies and the filtering is done by using a proxy model, so we're
quite flexible.
If possible I'd like to use some values that KDateTime can easily use, so
that no special date parsing is needed.

I imagine weeks feel awkward to work with, so how about just using months?
That is what the holiday calendar currently does. Calculating which week a
certain date corresponds to is not difficult but I bet it leads to confusion
somewhere.

The holiday syntax looks like this:
"holidaysInMonth:de:2010-04-01"
where you can in fact put in anything for the day value and you'll get back
the holiday dates for the month.

So would "eventsInMonth:2010-04-01" sound OK? I don't have strong feelings
about this.

Also is there some way to know when a data source is no longer needed? Or
does that only happen when the data engine is deleted?

>> I'd be happy if anyone would write a quick calendar list plasmoid as
>> example, it could simply show a list of dates and the corresponding
>> event.
>
> i'd rather just plug it right into the actual calendar. it's not hard.
> let's work out the above details and then i'll work on adding it to the
> clock calendar.

I still think a plasma-akonadi-todo list would be easy to write and nice to
have (I'm not overly fond of the plasma calendar looks).

Cheers
Frederik