[GSoC Proposal] Plasma widget sharing using telepathy

Daniele E. Domenichelli daniele.domenichelli at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 19:10:17 CEST 2010

Hello,

I've been discussing on #kde-telepathy with grundleborg and drf__ about
a GSoC project that will take telepathy tubes to kde.

Telepathy Tubes are a user-to-user or user-to-group networking layer
which applications can use to perform contact-to-contact data transfer.
There are currently two data formats for Tubes:
- StreamTubes that allow clients to share a regular socket
- DBusTubes that allow client to share a D-Bus bus

The first part of my project will be a "bridge" to easily offer and
accept a tube in kde and return a KJob associated to that tube.
Then the project will include 2 applications for Tubes:
The first will use DBusTubes to add collaborative editing of worksheet
in Cantor.

The reason why I'm writing here to discuss about the second application
that should use StreamTubes :D

Plasma already allows to share widgets on the local network using
avahi/zeroconf. I think that a cool feature could be to use StreamTubes
to allow the widget to be shared with your contacts using your favourite
im protocol. That should not be hard, because StreamTubes allow to reuse
the existing protocol using telepathy to transport it.

What do you think about it?

Regards,
 Daniele