Ideas/Mockups for Mobile System Tray (GSoC)

Alexis Ménard menard at kde.org
Tue Apr 6 01:51:22 CEST 2010

On Sun, Apr 4, 2010 at 2:25 PM, Yuen Hoe Lim <yuenhoe86 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,

Hi,

> I've put together a proposal for the mobile system tray GSoC idea, including
> my ideas and some mockups illustrating how it might work. The proposal draft
> is here:
>
> http://socghop.appspot.com/gsoc/student_proposal/show/google/gsoc2010/moofang/t127031260582

Thanks for the submission.

> Would greatly appreciate some feedback and comments on my ideas, as well as
> on the proposal as a whole in case I'm missing something in there :)

As Marco said it's also not exactly what we talked about during
tokamak4. But anyway it's research so we can see. We were more
thinking on a tiny bar on the top (read-only) that you can expand with
the finger by just dragging it.

Remember we don't have right click (even though it's supported i think
it's broken) as you said so no interaction with right click.

I just wonder where do you want to put the tiny version of the
taskbar? Also I don't like (me) when thing pops magically from
somewhere so i think when the big one appears it should be animated
from the the tiny version (or at least have a visual hint that you
"expand" the tiny version).

I do like the mock with the message, i think it's informative. Better
that the notification of Hildon, where you don't know what you can do
with it.

In the other hand the Kopete one is not very nice so we probably want
to look at those somehow. Perhaps something similar for all of them?
At least consistent.

But i like your proposal.