Ideas/Mockups for Mobile System Tray (GSoC)

nuno pinheiro nuno at oxygen-icons.org
Sun Apr 4 23:44:54 CEST 2010

A Domingo, 4 de Abril de 2010 20:04:27 Marco Martin você escreveu:
> On Sun, Apr 4, 2010 at 8:53 PM, Chani <chanika at gmail.com> wrote:
> > as for more computer-like devices...
> > I like the way the n900 does IM notifications - the little tiny bubble in
> > the corner that has just a few words in it.
>
> yes, a modal notification is no more a notification
>
> > I'm not sure about the "mode" thing, though.
> > I mean, even if I'm using it like a computer, when a phone call comes in
> > it needs to be answered or dismissed right away, I can't just go check
> > on it a minute later. so maybe the intrusiveness of the notification has
> > more to do with the application it's coming from than what the device in
> > general was designed for.
>
> an incoming phone call seems a really special thing.
> probably all the other notifications can be done with the usual
> notifications protocol. that one perhaps needs to be a different (and
> modal) thing

+1

think that incoming phone call is important enough to basacly drag your full
atention to it.

everything else are things that one does not need to deal with instantly. for
those a simple tiny auto hide notification should be perfectly good enough.
(me finds even that a bit annoying at at times)

this does not mean that pressing the system try area should not pup up
specific configurations options for the things in display there, depending on
the way we present them and the size of them we can do some interesting
tricks.

> Cheers,
> Marco Martin

oxygen guy, "I make the pretty pictures"