GSoC : Multiscreen management

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Sun Apr 4 21:48:32 CEST 2010

On Saturday 03 April 2010 21:06:00 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On April 2, 2010, Detlev Casanova wrote:
> > >
> > > yes, particularly on the storing / restoring of configurations and
> > > integrating it with the existing UI elements (device notifier and
> > > providing a more user- friendly alternative to the current kandr icon,
> > > which is highly functional but also tricky to use)
> >
> > Ok, Can I write a proposal for this then ?
>
> imho: +1 on that.
>
> > At first glance, it looks a bit light to make it as a GSoC but I can be
> > wrong about that.
>
> honestly, i think there will be enough to keep you busy for an entire
> GSoC.  besides getting a plasmoid up to snuff there will be Kephal work
> that needs to be done. getting thoe workflows as elegant as possible can
> take as much time as we can throw at it :)

Having done this myself a couple of years ago (and being one of those who got burnt
by the ever-changing monster that is X configuration and therefore eventually gave up
on the idea. (Google for "guidance displayconfig" if you want to see how far we got).
BTW, did you know that the upcoming release of X Server again changes configuration
options!?), I can tell you one thing: It will not be easy, especially not if you want
it to work with different drivers (and possibly different versions at that).

The amount of opportunities to tear your hair out in X.org land is near inifinite.

That said, I'd be super-glad if at multi-screen support, especially hotplugging would
be improved in Plasma. :)
--
sebas