Ideas/Mockups for Mobile System Tray (GSoC)

Chani chanika at gmail.com
Sun Apr 4 20:53:23 CEST 2010

On April 4, 2010 05:25:22 Yuen Hoe Lim wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've put together a proposal for the mobile system tray GSoC idea,
> including my ideas and some mockups illustrating how it might work. The
> proposal draft is here:
>
> http://socghop.appspot.com/gsoc/student_proposal/show/google/gsoc2010/moofa
> ng/t127031260582
>
> Would greatly appreciate some feedback and comments on my ideas, as well as
> on the proposal as a whole in case I'm missing something in there :)

first of all: I suggest you post that somewhere public as well, so that non-
mentors can give you feedback. :)

as for the proposal... hmm, I don't really have much to say.

that first mockup, though... imagine that person is bored, and sends you ten
text messages in a row. "dismiss all" could be good... unless you also dismiss
a message from someone important.

of course, if the phone also has a little icon indicating that you have unread
messages, it's not so bad. (unless you have *my* phone where it takes like ten
button presses to get to your inbox, augh).

actually, for sms I find myself wishing that the new-message thing would stay
on the home screen, even if I have to do something else like make a call first
- I want to eventually come back and be reminded that there are messages, and
easily go read them all.

as for more computer-like devices...
I like the way the n900 does IM notifications - the little tiny bubble in the
corner that has just a few words in it.

I'm not sure about the "mode" thing, though.
I mean, even if I'm using it like a computer, when a phone call comes in it
needs to be answered or dismissed right away, I can't just go check on it a
minute later. so maybe the intrusiveness of the notification has more to do
with the application it's coming from than what the device in general was
designed for.

--
This message brought to you by eevil bananas and the number 3.
www.chani3.com