Plasma Media Center and state machines

Shantanu Tushar Jha jhahoneyk at gmail.com
Sun Apr 4 14:34:28 CEST 2010

On 4/4/10, Marco Martin <notmart at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/4/10, Shantanu Tushar Jha <jhahoneyk at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  > * there will be a shared home page
>>  >
>>  > * there will be a set of shared / common components available, such as
>> the
>>  > playlist, media browser and control bar
>>  >
>>  > * there will be some set of shared / common sub-components, such as a
>> global
>>  > pause button in the control bar
>>  >
>>  > * a state may also need to provide custom sub-components
>>  >
>>  > * a state may also want to provide a custom component for the main
>> viewing
>>  > area (e.g. a full screen plasmoid for weather, or a special browsing
>> widget)
>>  >
>>  > if we can agree on those points, then we can ask: how can plugins work?
>>  >
>>  > well, it becomes evident that we should provide a way to define which
>> common
>>  > components and sub-components are useful in a given context from a
>> state.
>>  >
>>  > we also need to allow states to register custom sub-components and
>> provide a
>>  > "main viewing area" component as well. (additional components that live
>> on
>>  > screen edges, augment the home page, etc. can be something we think
>> about
>>  > later once we have something releasable in hand today).
>>  >

>> Exactly. Right now the Media Browser supports writing custom plugins.
>>  So, if we extend that so that the whole Media Center supports plugin,
>>  I think we can have a great system.
>>  As you said, the plugin can specify what media to show, what player to
>>  use, what controls it supports etc.
>>  So, it will be like we'll have plugins and load them using Traders,
>> right?
>
> yes. then, as i said a plugin says what applets want and what
> subcontrols of applets wants, and sttatesbare built accordingly
>
>>  Right now, I'm fixing up the media player's playlist problem, will put
>>  the patch on reviewboard when done.
>>  Chris, regarding the Files browser existing right now, Aaron and Marco
>>  said that to make it better visible on all devices, we can make it
>>  show 3 columns at once (so to make the icons resizable, and later
>>  maybe allow the user to zoom in/out), I tried but there is a small
>>  problem somewhere, so I'd like if you can help with this. Is it fine?
>>  If yes, I'll reply back with the patch :)
>
> no, the list view with always one column i think. it's a list. is the
> grid view that should become thne default

(Great I did it again) Actually I wanted to say 3 rows :P Dunno why I
always write cols instead of rows and vice versa. Yeah, so as you
said, its the grid view that should have 3 rows (yes, rows) as Aaron
said we will 'cheat'. So initially that'd mean that any arbitrary
value be passed to setIconSize() in abstractmediaitemview.cpp should
work so that we can later let the user zoom in/out if needed. Right
now, I'm experimenting with 128, which really wastes a lot of space in
the layout. I've managed to get it working better, but few issues with
the text rect which won't be difficult to solve.

> Cheers,
> Marco Martin

Shantanu Tushar    (UTC +0530)
http://www.shantanutushar.com