Plasma Media Center and state machines

Alessandro Diaferia alediaferia at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 10:34:42 CEST 2010

2010/4/2 Marco Martin <notmart at gmail.com>

> On Friday 02 April 2010, Shantanu Tushar Jha wrote:
> > (My ideas, be free to kick ;)
> >
> > Hi Christophe, now I'm able to understand most of what you've
> > proposed. Somehow, I don't like having just one state machine for the
> > whole MC, the main reason being that we're going to support
> > extensibility through custom plugins, so the MC can no longer assume
> > that it knows exactly how many states are present.
> > What I propose is not altering the libraries, but to have a state
> > machine for each component (component as in the containment,
> > controller applet etc). Though I don't have code to show that right
> > now (i'm writing a small Qt app to demo it), I'll try to explain a
> > sample working-
>
> While i share the concern over extesibility (and wouldn't know how to do it
> with a single global state machine) how a state machine for each component
> would fix that?
> a part every plugin being a omplete set of new applets...
>
> Cheers,
> Marco Martin

I like the extensibility idea too but i think that we are bound to the
definition of a set of possible states. We can try to look forward as much
as we can and define such states. Plugins will just specify which of those
states they'll refer to. In the future, probably, we'll update our libraries
with the states that we could have never imagined in the past :-).

So we can now have:
Pictures,
Videos,
Audio tracks,