GSoC : Multiscreen management

Chani chanika at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 20:07:14 CEST 2010

On April 1, 2010 09:40:12 Björn Ruberg wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I fully agree with Detlev's points. The multiscreen management is very bad
> in KDE currently, although in KDE 4.4 it is a little better than in KDE
> 4.3. Every time I want to plug a beamer to my laptop in university I have
> to fight up to one minute getting every thing correct

I have *very* little experience with multiscreen, but... how much of this is a
distro or driver thing? when I plugged my tv into my laptop running arch, the
video seemed to Just Work - I opened up krandr, set the new screen to the first
resolution and there it was. later I thought maybe I wanted the other screen
on top, so I tried that, and it worked too.

when I tried the netbook reference thing, though, it didn't really want to
obey the settings I chose. it just wanted to clone the laptop screen onto the
tv screen. weird stuff happened as I fought with it... :/

I'm not saying multiscreen is in a *good* state, just that I had two very
different experiences on different distros.

--
This message brought to you by eevil bananas and the number 3.
www.chani3.com