Ayatana notifications for Plasma

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Sep 23 19:08:28 CEST 2009

On September 23, 2009, Dario Freddi wrote:
> presented as "your initiative" regardless of Ayatana. However, with Ayatana
> notifications user interaction is not possible, hence your previous patch
>  was either an unfortunate wrong timing coincidence or strictly related.

of course it is strictly related. that this wasn't made obvious in the posting
to kde-core-devel is a little odd but also completely what i've come to
expect. i didn't really feel like going into on kde-core-devel because i don't
think there's anything to gain at this point, but it's no  surprise that the
people who felt it necessary to come up with such a patch are the people who
have removed actions from notifications. 2 + 2 = 4.

>  the desktop workspace would be broken. Hence this makes me really believe
>  you're taking the wrong route here. You are basically pushing 2 different

before this gets carried forward into a big thread on this list, it has been
made very clear that Canonical is intent on following through on these ideas
as they are. it  is an insular project without outside participation, which is
something they are perfectly free to engage in and i fully support their right
to do so.

now, whether anyone else outside of Canonical thinks it is better or worse
seems to really not matter. any discussion on it is therefore a waste of time.
and i'd prefer not to waste our time on this list.

btw, i'd recommend to anyone using the Ayatana notifications patch not do so
on a laptop running on battery power if you care about getting the most out of
a battery charge.

humru othro a kohnu se