Bugs in signalplotter.cpp

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 10:33:17 CEST 2009

On 9/22/09, John Tapsell <johnflux at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/9/21 Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org>:

>>> Bah, reason number 412 why code copying is evil.  This is a copy of an
>>> old version.
>>
>> i can think of two approaches:
>>
>> a) make KSysGuard use QGraphicsView and share the widgets directly that
>> way
>> b) use a QGraphicsProxyWidget and encapsulate KSysGuard's classes that are
>> used in libplasma
>
> Do you know the advantages/disadvantages of those two approaches?  I
> do want to get these merged.

a proxywidget is usuaually a slower to draw
using a graphicswidget is ksysguard you would have to keep your view
sinced to the proper place of the scene, usual qgraphicsview minor
annoyance but no big deal s suppose
> Do I have to keep ABI/API compatibility now for plasma/widgets/signalplotter
> ?
yes :/  you can't nchange signatures or remove stuff(this excludes
also making it a qgrahpicsproxywidget?), but you can add functions

>> either way, it would be very nice to see KSysGuard using the plotter
>> classes
>> in libplasma (or libplasma using the same plotter classes as ksyguard,
>> housed
>> somewhere else) so we can get rid of this duplication altogether.
>
> Which do you prefer?  I was thinking of moving the widget to
> kdebase/workspace/libs   would this be sufficient?
not to be used in  libplasma that is in kdelibs
/me maybe is for the graphicswidget..
another thing you can do: a pure painting class that has the logic and
a paint function that takes a painter argument and both widgets usee
that (there is always the  question where to put it btw)