Plasma wallpaper changing via D-Bus

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Sep 16 18:24:56 CEST 2009

On September 15, 2009, you wrote:
> > cool; I believe Ivan has started on d-bus introspection into plasma.
> >
> > what are your use case(s) for this? (that can impact how this is
> > implemented)
>
> I'm an intern at Pardus Linux distribution and we have an application
> named Kaptan which allows you to personalize the settings when Pardus
> boots the first time. Kaptan allows us to change the wallpaper. But we
> cannot see this change in realtime. So what I need is to call Plasma via
> d-bus and tell it to change the wallpaper.

There is currently no d-bus interface for plasma for such things. One could be
developed, but it would need to take security into mind (the desktop shell
should be relatively immune to hijacking; the user should always be in control
by default) and the d-bus interface can not be as simple as
"setWallpaper(path)" since there can be multiple Containments and different
kinds of wallpapers.

there is a signal for wallpapers to listen to that alerts them of a URL
dropped on it that might be able to used, however.

in any case, let's take this to the mailing list.

humru othro a kohnu se