message-indicator plasmoid in kdereview

Celeste Lyn Paul celeste at kde.org
Fri Sep 4 22:49:02 CEST 2009

On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 1:49 PM, Aaron J. Seigo<aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> On September 4, 2009, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
>> I've put the message indicator plasmoid by Aurelien Gateau into
>> kdereview, please take a look and let us know if it's suitable for
>> inclusion into kdeplasma-addons.
>
> tell me why i should be interested in an inferior NIH-driven implementation by
> one downstream that has been implemented with zero upstream collaboration.
>
> what this does show me is that there is ~0 understanding of what we've been
> working on with the new system tray specification.
>
> it also makes me feel like there is a core belief within Canonical's Ayatana
> team that it's completely cool to design in a closed environment with eyes and
> ears such to other aroudn you. maybe if you keep hammering us with patches
> we'll eventually give in? :/
>
> you are completely free to do as you wish. that's the beauty of free software,
> and i respect that.
>
> but i feel you are going about it completely wrong. enjoy maintaining your
> fork. at least we designed plasma to be able to accommodate such approaches
> with minimal pain, right?

I'm confused why Jonathan submitted it in the first place. The current
implementation is for testing purposes only for shipping in Karmic.
Who knows what will happen in testing, but the design isn't stable let
alone and sebas said there were some issues with implementation. IMO
it's in no shape for upstream to care about.

--
Celeste Lyn Paul
KDE Usability Project