Review Request: Add a tooltip to battery monitor applet

Chani chanika at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 05:21:34 CET 2009

On October 30, 2009 18:24:03 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On October 30, 2009, Chani wrote:
> > percentages are the bogus number :P it's like giving a latitude and
> >  longitude instead of a street address.
>
> except my street address doesn't change just because i drive there in a car
> instead of walk.
>
> a more accurate analogy would be offering a travel time ("travel for 13
> minutes, take a left and travel for 14 more") instead of a street address.
> what if there's traffic or i speed? what if i'm biking instead of driving?
> what if i'm walking?

damn metaphors... ;P
maybe that's part of the problem here, actually. I *do* often give and use
directions in units of time instead of distance. if you tell me to go 50
meters north I'll end up in *completely* the wrong place (has happened, long
argument ensued about who was using silly units), but walking for half an hour
or taking a 10-minute bus journey works for me, so long as I have a few
landmarks to keep the error under control.

> giving numbers that are "guestimates" which is what these numbers can
>  probably ever be is a great way to reinforce in people that "computers try
>  to be smart but are fragile and wrong, especially mine" which IME is a
>  huge reason why people like them less than they should.

I still don't believe people dislike their computer because it tries to help
them and isn't always right. everyone I've talked to *likes* the time
estimate.
we also provide time estimates for downloads, even though those can easily be
wrong too (especially with torrents).
and if the time estimate is really bad you can always turn it off. oh wait, it
was off by default iirc.

in any case... we could argue this until we both expire - or someone could
fork the plasmoid and provide an alternative for people who find the time
estimate easier to work with. :)

--
This message brought to you by eevil bananas and the number 3.
www.chani3.com