How to get Akonadi notes onto Plasma?

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 14:55:03 CET 2009

Stephen Kelly wrote:
>> i think in this case, maybe start with the intended user experience. i'm
>> not sure what you are actually envisioning for the user experience. e.g.:
>>
>> should notes appear automatically on your desktop / panel when they
>> appear in Akonadi, so if i add a note in Kontact it would appear
>> somewhere on my desktop as well?
>
> I think so, yes. At least, new notes should easily be able to appear on
> the desktop. After discussing it on IRC, I think what I'll try is this:
>
> There is one plasma akonadi notes widget. It is like a stack of real world
> post-it sticky notes. Actual notes containing data are extender items,
> which can be moved around the workspace.
>
> If a new note is added in kontact, a new extender item is added to the
> "master" widget. No notification is given about that happening. The user
> can then open the extender to access the new note and drag it anywhere.
> That way new notes do not appear in random positions on the workspace, as
> someone suggested would be a bad idea.

I have some start on this and made a video here:

http://officespace.kdab.net/~stephen/notes_plasma.ogv

I was having a lot of trouble with Xephyr->my keyboard, but you get the
idea.

The good part is that I can create a plasmoid which shows a particular
collection of notes. Updating, removing and inserting notes is instantly
propagated. Notes can be dragged from the stack of notes onto the workspace.

The bad part is that I have 0 knowledge of how to make it look right. I
would prefer to only show the actual notes in the stack on click so they
could be dragged elsewhere. Obviously the background svg of it should not be
as it is, or the size it currently is. Additionally I need to give some
visual indication of colour in the notes, either the notes themselves being
a different colour, or having a strip of a colour that can be set etc.

Currently the stuff is implemented as extenders so that the applet is able
to create/destroy/update them. If the above appearance stuff is not possible
with extenders, then I may have to go with a different approach.

Would having one master applet and each note as a satellite applet work?

Aaron does this clarify any of your previous questions?

All the best,

Steve.