dropped URL handling in containment, was: Re: How to get Akonadi notes onto Plasma?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Oct 28 19:47:13 CET 2009

On October 28, 2009, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 October 2009 16:39:41 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> > > The attached patch seems to work. I've not really tested it, just
> > > confirmed that it works at least in one case (emailmessage, added
> > >  X-Plasma-DropUrlPatterns=akonadi:* to its desktop file) -- it's late
> > > and I should sleep. If it's conceptually OK, I'll clean it up and
> > > submit it to review board.
> >
> > doing:
> >
> > KPluginInfo::List allApplets = KPluginInfo::fromServices(offers, "exist
> > [X- Plasma-DropUrlPatterns]")
> >
> > should eliminate all the entries that don't have any DropUrlPatterns
> >  without  having to create and then cycle through all the plasma applets
> >  installed.
>
> Good, good. That part felt icky...
>
> > this shouldn't be needed:
> >
> >     QHash<KJob*, KPluginInfo::List> dropPlugins;
> >
> > the URL can be retrieved in mimeTypeRetrieved with job->url()
>
> We the list of plugins (not the URL, I'm retrieving that from the job
>  indeed) for the following case:
>
> - a URL is dropped
> - applets matching DropUrlPatterns are found
> - the TransferJob returns an error

the same thing could be achieved by calling the method that fetches the
matching plugins in each place that needs it (including the error path) rather
than caching those values. that would mean calling it twice on success, or
twice on error or three times on error-that-isn't-an-error.

it's not a hot path and finding the matching plasmoids shouldn't be very slow
at all. i'd prefer to keep the bookkeeping for drops simple as long as it
isn't a performance problem.

humru othro a kohnu se