runners: same .so, different configs?

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Tue Oct 27 16:22:48 CET 2009

Hi,

I'm planning to merge the wikipedia search plugin into KDE for 4.4. The plugin is
basically a MediaWiki search class, with its URL pointed to Wikipedia.

I'd like to make it more generic, though. What I envision is installing the plugin
once, and then have one desktop file per service we want to query, the desktop file
basically says "use this plugin, use that URL", so there's some kind of initial
config attached to a plugin. Adding search for techbase or userbase (or any other
mediawiki) would mean merely providing a .desktop file pointing to the URL of that
particular MediaWiki instance. I *guess* it's possible, but don't really know where
to start looking. The same pattern (generic .so, config in the .desktop file) can
probably be applied to other things as well.

What magic in .desktop files is needed for this?
--
sebas