Review Request: "add virtual desktop" action for pager

Chani chanika at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 01:40:32 CEST 2009

> you know what would be cool as a "next step" after this? to have "remove
>  this virtual desktop" when right clicking on a desktop in the pager ...
>  add, remove, easy peasy? :)

I know, I was thinking about it last night...
the problem is the "this" part.
first of all contextualActions() doesn't know which desktop the click was on. I
could override the contextmenuevent, perhaps...

but then we run into the second problem: virtual desktops are kinda dumb. I
don't see any way of removing an arbitrary virtual desktop; I only see API for
changing the number of desktops and setting the name of each desktop.

in order to emulate it, you have to move windows from desktop n to desktop n-1
for all n > the one to delete, rename each of those desktops too, and then
decrement the number of desktops.  eeeeew.

on the other hand, it'd be easy to add a "remove last desktop" action.

while we're on the subject, another frustration of adding virtual desktops is
that every addition changes the spatial layout. I've got desktop 6 underneath
desktop 3 right now, but if I add another desktop then 6 will be under 2 and
I'll have to go reorganize half my desktops to match the new layout.
I wonder if I can have a set number of *columns* instead of rows, if I put a
pager on a virtual panel... that'd work around that annoyance... oh, but the
add-widgets bar doesn't work on vertical panels. :( and trying to drag a pager
from the addwidgets bar of my horizontal panel to my vertical panel just
crashes plasma. *sigh*

won't it be nice when we can just drag windows to named activities instead? :)

--
This message brought to you by eevil bananas and the number 3.
www.chani3.com