OT: Thanks!

John Layt johnlayt at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 17 18:42:13 CEST 2009

On Saturday 17 October 2009 11:00:16 Thomas Olsen wrote:
> From the top of my head it would be nice to have a national flag as well.
>  Is that in KLocale already?

That's another issue we've been kicking around for a while, we do have the
full set of flags in kdebase/runtime/l10n under each country folder, just
rather small and basic.  We plan to move to SVG based flags at some stage.

While KLocale has no member that returns the flag, you can always rely on all
the flags being installed, see
kdebase/runtime/kcontrol/locale/countryselectordialog.cpp line 287 for how to
access them.

Thanks for the other info, it will help with my design.  Basically there will
be a .desktop file for each currency code, holding at least the following
fields:

  CurrencyCode=NZD
  CurrencyName=New Zealand dollar
  CurrencyUnitSymbol=$
  CurrencyUnitSymbolDisambig=NZ$
  CurrencyUnitSingular=dollar
  CurrencyUnitPlural=dollars
  CurrencySubunitSymbol=c
  CurrencySubunitsPerUnit=100
  CurrencySubunitsInUse=Y
  CurrencySubunitSingular=cent
  CurrencySubunitPlural=cents
  (plus default formatting and conversion rules)

For l10n purposes, each locale file will hold a list of current and default
codes for that locale (a many-to-many currency-country relationship) and
KLocale will look up the correct values for that code, or the user can
override some of the defaults.  I also plan a KCurrency class to wrap it all
up for use by apps like yours.  I'm still looking into the conversion rules
side of things.

Anyway, this is really something for the k-c-d list once I've got the details
fully hashed out.

Cheers!

John.