Moved runner "Amarok" to kdereview

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Oct 16 19:07:25 CEST 2009

hi Jan ...

On October 16, 2009, Jan Gerrit Marker wrote:
> I have moved a runner called "Amarok" into kdereview. It is in
> plasma/runners/amarok. I added it to the CMakeLists.txt file, too. I want
>  it to go into the KDE libs.

first, the administrative details (i know, "booooooring" ;):

* you need to send an announcement to kde-core-devel at kde.org as well

* runners can go into kdebase, kdeplasma-addons, extragear or with the
application they relate to; but never kde libs :)

* i think this should ship with amarok itself; it only makes sense to have it
if amarok is there; this could be solved by making it a bit more generic (more
on that later) and then it could go into kdeplasma-addons.

now the technical stuff (less boring ;):

* the runner is not setting any syntaxes; this prevents runtime help from
working for this runner. this should be done in reloadConfiguration()

* it uses "org.freedesktop.MediaPlayer" so it's actually not amarok specific,
except for the start up bits. if the media player was settable (defaulting to
amarok) in the configuration, then this wouldn't be an issue. instead of
checking for org.kde.amarok to see if it is running, it could just check for
org.mpris.<appname> as http://wiki.xmms2.xmms.se/wiki/MPRIS defines it should
be

* amarokRunning() shouldn't be called in every match(); it should be checked
once in a method connected to the prepare() signal, probably setting a bool
member that can then be checked for in match().

* caching the values of songsInPlaylist, prevSongAvailable and
nextSongAvailable would be a good idea instead of calling them repeatedly in
match()

* there is this line in match():

    searchCollection = config().readEntry("searchCollection", true); //resets
searchCollection

is it really needed?

humru othro a kohnu se