playground/base/nepomuk-kde/usercontext/plasmoid

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Oct 15 18:49:18 CEST 2009

On October 15, 2009, Sebastian Trueg wrote:
> SVN commit 1035530 by trueg:
>
> updated label and comment to more readable values
>
>  M  +7 -11     plasma-applet-nepomukcontextchooser.desktop   [TRAILING
>  SPACE]
>

> ---
>  trunk/playground/base/nepomuk-kde/usercontext/plasmoid/plasma-applet-nepom
> ukcontextchooser.desktop #1035529:1035530 @@ -1,26 +1,22 @@
>  [Desktop Entry]
> -Name=NepomukContextChooser
> -Name[es]=NepomukContextChooser
> +Name=Task Management Widget

+10 on getting rid of jargon shown to the user.

unfortunately we now have a small "problem": we inherited the term "task bar"
from windows (i know, totaly *sigh* all around :/ ) and so for purely
historical reasons the window picker widget is called "tasks widget"

we can do one of the following:

* rename the "tasks" widget to "windows" widget?

* rename your task managment widget to "activity management widget", but in
that case we end up with a name collision with activities in plasma-desktop

* something completely different

personally, i am all for changing the name of the current tasks widget to
"windows". "tasks" is really a bad name and one we have for purely historical
reasons. no new user without a background in MS Windows would know what it
means, though i'm guessing everyone can guess to look for "windows" when
looking for that widget. moreover, that widget is there by default, so it's
rare that people want to go searching for it in any case.

thoughts?

ok, naming issue out of the way ...

now, what does this nepomuk plasmoid do, exactly? and what is the goal for it?
we are currently working on this exact area in plasma right now, with Ivan
working on libplasma<->nepomuk context bridging, kwin guys working on getting
some of the window effects we need into good shape and marco and i puttering
away on UI issues ... we should probably coordinate our efforts here so nobody
ends up wasting time or designing in different directions :)

humru othro a kohnu se