plasma+nepomuk activities, take N

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Oct 13 19:17:26 CEST 2009

On October 13, 2009, Ivan Čukić wrote:
> Since there are bound to be some changes in the concepts behind activities,
> virtual desktops etc. I'll postpone the plasma+nepomuk integration in order
>  to introduce it alongside the new overview (I guess we'll be able to do it
>  for 4.5?).

i'll be getting some of the basics into 4.4, like using the Add Widgets style
interface instead of zooming. and we need the nepomuk integration first.

> >From my point of view (that is from the implementation's point of view :)
> > ),
>
> there exists the possibility for more than one containment to have the same
> activity (something Chani mentioned some time ago) - that is, to have more
> than one group of applets (what we now call activities) inside one
>  activity.
>
> Panels could share the current global context and wouldn't have their own
> activities.

a Context could be shared by multiple Containments, yes. however, i think we
should be very careful in how we define when that is possible.

personally, i think a Context should be the combination of:

* Panel Containments
* the active desktop Containment on each physical screen

while it is completely possible to get more fancy/complicated, this will
likely be easiest to explain to someone using the system: everything they see
at any given time is part of the context. when they change what they see, the
context changes.

this keeps the door wide open for panels being associated with activities (so
when you change activities, the panel arrangement changes) while keeping
everything else very simple.

it does imply that we need to keep the activity name for desktop containments
in a multi-screen scenario syncronized.

when zoom out is removed, this should be a bit easier.

humru othro a kohnu se