New devicenotifier moved to kdereview

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Oct 5 18:26:27 CEST 2009

On October 4, 2009, Giulio Camuffo wrote:
> In data domenica 04 ottobre 2009 20:31:49, Aaron J. Seigo ha scritto:
> : > On October 4, 2009, Jacopo De Simoi wrote:
> : >

> > consider two items, both with multiple actions and both of which have
> > been clicked to expand .. moving from the second action in the first
> > device to the first action in the second device would feel quite
> > "natural" and smooth if the ItemBackground moved between them.
>
> well, actually you can't open two devices at a time, so if we keep this
>  behaviour the problem doesn't exist. on the other hand if we change that i
>  think it makes sense, even if i'd say it would introduce some complexity
>  in the code, but i'm not sure about that.

let me whip up a patch for you to look at and try :)

> > some other things that have come up as i've been using it today:
> >
> > * the popup icon only changes when the user will be notified of a device.
> > would it make sense to show an icon change even if the device is going to
> >  be ignored? that way there would at least be feedback that the applet
> > was aware there was a change and chose not to do anything about it?
>
> what do you mean with "ignored", hidden?

sorry .. .yes, i meant "hidden".

> > * i really like how the unmounting waiting is shown; i did notice that
> > the icon overlay on a storage volume for mounted matches the action icon
> > to mount a device; but when you click on unmount, the overlay is a box
> > with a line through it. this seems asymmetrical. should the overlay on
> > the storage volume icon be the "unmount" icon?
>
> the real problem there is that that icon to mount the device isn't the
>  right one. but there isn't an icon like "action-mount", so i had to
>  fallback to that.

ah, i see. so we need an emblem that works well for this. ok :) i'm talking
with pinheiro about it. let's see what his artist's instincts come up with.

> > * there's a Plasma::IconWidget in DeviceNotifier; it never seems to
> >  actually be used. should it actually be the same as the icon in the
> >  NotifierDialog?
>
> that's the icon shown in the panel

one might think so (that is initially what i thought it would be as well), but
it's not as one can see from reading the code. here's the relevant code:

    m_icon = new Plasma::IconWidget(KIcon("device-notifier",NULL), QString());
    m_iconName = QString("device-notifier");

    connect(m_dialog, SIGNAL(deviceSelected()), this, SLOT(showPopup()));

    Plasma::ToolTipManager::self()->registerWidget(this);

    setPopupIcon(m_icon->icon());

so m_icon is really a really complex way of storing a QIcon ;) i've fixed this
in r1031628.

humru othro a kohnu se