Review Request: Add an hidden option to set a translucent background for DesktopView

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Oct 5 17:59:51 CEST 2009

On October 5, 2009, Nathanael Schilling wrote:
> [...]
> > My goal was to fix the regression in 4.3.1 compared to 4.2 with minimal
> > impact on existing code. Primary goal was to change the existing design,
> > behavior and code as little as possible. I also tried to stick as
> > accurately as possible to the naming scheme and the coding style of the
> > original authors.
> >
> >     I hope that you can understand my arguments and allow us to use
> > Compiz and KDE 4 together again.
> >
> >     Yours sincerely,
> >     WANA
> >     p.s. The corrected patch will follow later.
> >
> > Aaron Seigo wrote:
> >     "The user should have the right and the freedom to decide for
> > themselves"
> >
> >     they do. they have the code. config options in software does not
> > equate in any direct manner to rights or freedoms.
> >
> >     "Any other user does not have to deal with this option"
> >
> >     the developers deal with maintaining it, any bug reports that result
> > from it and users pay for that overhead indirectly. there is no such
> > thing as a patch that adds a feature that does no harm; the negative of
> > more feature weight must be offset by benefit. in this case, it also goes
> > against some design fundamentals.
> >
> >     it is therefore my decision that this patch which introduces a
> > purpose-specific hidden config option is not desirable to the upstream
> > project.
> >
> >     "My goal was to fix the regression in 4.3.1 compared to 4.2 with
> > minimal impact on existing code."
> >
> >     it was coincidental that this worked in 4.2; it was not an
> > intentional feature.
> >
> >     "Primary goal was to change the existing design, behavior and code as
> > little as possible. I also tried to stick as accurately as possible to
> > the naming scheme and the coding style of the original authors."
> >
> >     i do appreciate that.
> >
> >     as Sebas noted on the mailing list, this really ought to be a
> > property of the wallpaper that the View can check. this would mean some
> > new property in Plasma::Wallpaper and a way to signal that it has changed
> > so the view can react if it wishes to. how to do that cleanly is the
> > question. i don't think Wallpaper should have something specific to this,
> > but perhaps some sort of properties system that can be set/changed by the
> > Wallpaper (allowing us to add things over time and keep the API
> > straightforward from the start).
> >
> > wearenotalone wrote:
> >     That sounds reasonable, but it is far too difficult for me. I will
> > continue to manually patch the Debian packages. If someone wants to use
> > 4.3.1 with the wallpaper plugin, he will find all necessary information
> > in the the bug report. I will now discard this review request, ok?
>
> "they do. they have the code. config options in software does not equate in
>  any direct manner to rights or freedoms."
>
> In my opinion, designing something around the code, i.e. setting all
>  configurations in the source code is a design flaw as well.

you misunderstand. the design as i am putting it down does not include this
configuration option. others are free to disagree and change the source code
to their desire. it has nothing to do with designing something around the
code.

>  Sure people
>  are free to modify the code, but that doesn't mean they can (permissions
>  wise) or have the technical knowledge to.

which isn't our problem. it is 100% INSANE to suggest that all things should
be configurable in all ways. if that is indeed the design requirement on F/OSS
then let me be the first to congratulate the rest of you on your continued and
guaranteed failure and leave the arena right now.

if that isn't the case, then some things will not be configurable. and here we
have one of them.

i have, btw, offered in the comments on this patch, an alternate way to
explore implementing this exact feature that could mesh much better with the
existing design and, as an added bonus, let you modify it using the existing
GUI.

but it's easier to write long emails and hope we'll just apply the existing
patch.

>  I realize that kde likes to
>  work with itself and that the plasma devs therefore would design plasma
>  around kwin.

we work with kwin. we don't design around it. we work well with other KDE
projects, but we also work extensively with others. so i don't agree with this
characterization.

>  As plasma is a desktop shell but not a window manager, it
>  would be expected that it is possible to use other window

and the window managers are not desktop shells. they can stay out of the
wallpaper.

>  managers/compositors together with plasma, and that plasma would give
>  control to this other compositor/window manager to the furthest extent
>  possible to allow for smooth interoperability.

we've actually given a lot more control to the compmgr in the 4.4. codebase by
using desktop effects directly for things we were previously doing manually in
plasma-desktop.

at the same time, the window manager does not get to define unilaterally what
feature goes where. essentially you are suggesting that the window managers
drive design and the desktop shell submit to those decisions. not exactly a
fair or equal partnership, is it?

in this case, while i understand why compiz provides wallpapers, it is a
mistake to try and combine those with a desktop shell. the window manager has
no idea, and can not be reasonably expected to have an idea, of where / when
the wallpaper should be painted.

the days of "the wallpaper is what fills the screen" are behind us.

>  It should be noted that
>  compiz has tried to integrate with kde and plasma.

and vice versa. it would be awesome, btw, if compiz implemented support for
some of the window manager effects plasma-desktop is using such as the window
slide in-out plasma-desktop in KDE 4.4 will be using for all of its panel
animations, etc.

>  Due to popularity of
>  compiz as a window manager and its relatively large user base and the
>  features that KDE has compared to gnome, it is to be expected that there
>  are users who want to both user compiz *and* kde well together without
>  loosing any of the features of compiz.

any particular window manager team's decisions as to what makes for sane
features may not line up with our design concepts. ensuring plasma-desktop
works with every feature in every (even just popular) window manager would be
essentially putting plasma-desktop's design in the hands of other development
teams who are working on window managers.

we do cooperate (e.g. we accommodate both window managers who use virtual
desktops as well as those who use viewports; that was done, actually,
specifically for compiz users), but we aren't beholden.

>  Therefore I would
>  think it would make sense to include the patch with as much documentation
>  as possible to make it easy to enable/disable in the actual source code to
>  make maintaing the code as easy as possible.

we'll just have to disagree here then.

>  I don't quite understand what
>  you mean with "overhead"

in this case the overhead comes in testing and maintenance. every single
feature adds to the complexity of the code. one of my duties as maintainer is
to ensure that doesn't get out of hand.

>  Furthermore, one of the
>  strengths of kde is it's configurability, and it would be a shame if this
>  feature were lost.

plasma is highly configurable, in most ways more so than kicker/kdesktop in
KDE3. one can not defining it as "not configurable" if one aspect of plasma
that you would like to configure is not configurable. it's a rhetorical game i
won't play :)

humru othro a kohnu se