Adjustable Clock, Spell Check and Window List applets moved to kdereview

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Oct 4 21:49:04 CEST 2009

On October 4, 2009, Emdek wrote:
> Hello
>
> I've moved Adjustable Clock, Spell Check and Window List applets to
> kdereview some minutes ago.
> I want to move them to kdeplasma-addons or extragear eventually.
>
> Adjustable Clock is a clock that uses WebKit to render advanced date and
> time formats (maybe it need some refactoring of configuration dialog,
> mostly hiding some not really needed or too advanced options).

this one is perhaps the hardest of the three to decide what to do with; it
uses libplasmaclock, but that library has no binary compatibility guarantees
on it. that makes plasmoids which link to libplasmaclock that exist outside of
kdebase or addons really risky. (we already have bug reports that get filed
about this exact issue :/)

using webkit to render a clock is a bit overkill perhaps, but as an optional
thing it's probably just fine. the options it offers are, however, really
rather overkill (as you note).

why a time difference option when timezones are available? "paint background"
is an option we intentionally do not provide in individual plasmoids, and
scaling content should be a given not an option.

it's an interesting widget, no doubt about it, but i think it could use a few
rounds of polishing before being included in an official release. i'm not sold
on the name, either, of "Adjustable Clock" since it doesn't really speak to
what gets adjusted :)

with some more work, i think this could be a candidate for addons, though.

> Spell Check is applet for fast spell checking (dialog could be ported to
> QGraphicsView when bug with embedded pop ups will be fixed in Qt).

nice idea; would make a nice addition to addons, imo. when using it, i was
surprised it picked what i had copied with Ctrl+C. perhaps it would make more
sense to pick whatever is on the selection clipboard rather than the
copy/paste clipboard? this would allow one to just highlight some text and
then hit the spell check button. copy/paste would still be easily possible
with ctrl+v.

when is m_dialog deleted?

could m_dialog be created not in init() but when it's about to be shown? would
help speed up startup a bit and lower overhead when not used.

> Window List is menu with list of opened windows (similar to applet for KDE
> 3.5).

what is the use case for the useArrowIcon hidden config item? and if it is to
remain, it will need to be adjusted in a constraintsEvent implementation on
LocationConstraint changes.

otherwise, if you're ok with changing the coding style to the kdelibs style
this one could probably go into kdebase/workspace/plasma/desktop/applets/ as-
is.

humru othro a kohnu se