Forecast-only weather ion

Shawn Starr shawn.starr at rogers.com
Thu Oct 1 01:48:29 CEST 2009

On September 30, 2009 03:14:01 pm Thilo-Alexander Ginkel wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 September 2009 19:20:55 Shawn Starr wrote:
> > > Unfortunately, wetter.com only provides forecast data through its free
> > > web service API, so the Ion actually has no access to current
> > > observation data to provide to the Weather Plasmoid. AFAICS this
> > > results in some ugly rendering glitches in the Plasmoid such as a large
> > > question mark document being displayed instead of the current weather
> > > condition.
> >
> > If you omit the keys for current conditions, it should not display any
> >  current condition tab at all.
>
> That's correct.
>
> > > Is building a Ion that does not supply observation data, but only
> > > forecast data, supported? Is there a way to convince the Weather
> > > Plasmoid to skip displaying the observation data (instead of displaying
> > > "N/A" indicators and icons)?
> >
> > If you use "N/A"  the applet should ignore displaying those fields if
> > they aren't even set, they shouldn't appear at all.
> >
> > Let me know where it is not doing this and I'll fix applet.
>
> Currently I am sending the following data back for a weather forecast
>  request:
>
> QHash(("Place", QVariant(QString, "Heidelberg") ) ( "Credit Url" ,
> QVariant(QString, "http://www.wetter.com") ) ( "Condition Icon" ,
> QVariant(QString, "N/A") ) ( "Temperature Unit" ,  QVariant(QString,
>  "6001") ) ( "Total Weather Days" ,  QVariant(int, 4) ) ( "Credit" ,
>  QVariant(QString, "Powered by wetter.com") ) ( "Short Forecast Day 0" ,
>  QVariant(QString, "day| weather-clouds|cloudy|22|14|20") ) ( "Short
>  Forecast Day 1" ,
> QVariant(QString, "nite|weather-clouds-night|cloudy|13|12|20") ) ( "Short
> Forecast Day 2" ,  QVariant(QString, "Thu|weather-clouds|cloudy|20|9|20") )
>  ( "Short Forecast Day 3" ,  QVariant(QString,
>  "Fri|weather-clouds|cloudy|17|9| 20") ) ( "Station" ,  QVariant(QString,
>  "Heidelberg") ) )
>
> This results in the following display (under KDE built from trunk):
>
> http://blog.ginkel.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/snapshot-weatherplasmoid.
> png
>
> IMHO, the condition icon should be left out in this case and probably
>  nothing should be displayed instead of "N/A" for the current temperature
>  (I also tried leaving out the condition icon completely, which did not
>  make any difference).
>
> Alternatively, I could of course also display the weather icon that is
> associated with the current time in the forecast results, but that kind of
> feels like cheating. ;-)
>
> Now that my Weather Ion is mostly feature-complete, how does the further
> process look like? Should I submit a review request? Should it first go to
>  the playground? (Feel free to point me to a Wiki page if there is any
>  explaining the process.)

There is another option,  but since you don't  have any pressure info you
can't "guess" the condition. So, it seems the applet should ignore displaying
the icon if there's nothing set at all.

I will fix that on applet side, so you won't see the icon.

The ion should go into the playground there's an ion directory for other
plugins being developed. From there, we'll let the code settle and test it.

If you don't have an account, you might want to get a SVN account for
committing it. the Wiki techbase explains where to do this.

Thanks for your contribution and help! :-)

I've been away right now, since i'm currently looking for a job, the market is
tough right now :-(

Shawn.