System tray notification

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Mon Nov 30 16:43:05 CET 2009

Marco Martin wrote:
> true, the problem is that sophisticate communication like "the mail
> associated to that notification has been read" is totally impossible in
> the spec (and probably quite out of scope too, since it would require too
> much burden to the applications themselves, situation that would make sure
> it would be misused)

Sure, I know, and I don't expect to solve it that way. I just pointed out
what is the problem from the users POV.

> what i think could be done is, when exploring old notifications with the
> tabbar, they could be marked as "read" and the subsequent time they will
> all appear collapsed, while the "new" ones expanded as usual

Yes, that's what I suggested.

> they are not kept "forever" but half an hour. what is still to be done is
> to make the expire time dependant whether the computer is in use or not,
> like it's already done with the job progress

I don't know what should be done. Probably if the notifications appear while
the computer is idle (eg. screensaver is running), they should not
disappear. If it in uses, I think half an hour is just too much, several
minutes should be enough. I was annoyed with the old behavior when I saw a
notification, but didn't have time to read it, but I don't think I'd be
interested in notifications from half an hour ago. 5-10 minutes might work
better. Of course, this is my opinion, in the (old) KDE spirit, I'd ask for
a configurable timeout. ;) (Yes, a good default is better.)

Andras