System tray notification

Andras Mantia amantia at kde.org
Mon Nov 30 08:42:51 CET 2009

Hi,

 I don't write a bug report, as this is not a bug in itself, just something
that seems to be badly designed. Or maybe it is still unfinished, in that
case ignore the mail.
 The idea of keeping the notifications visible for a longer time makes sense
and I support it. The way how it works now (as of 29/11/2009) unfortunately
is not good. The problem is that the notifications remain there for too long
time. Example: you get a mail in some folder and you get notified. You read
it. After a while you get another mail in another folder, you get notified,
but in the notifications it appears as you'd get a mail in the first folder
as well. But there isn't anything new, so it is misleading and confuses you,
the user. I know, the notification item cannot know that you read a mail.
And I know that expiring the notifications after a certain time is not that
good, as we loose the functionality for which this was introduced: to be
able to read the notifications later, when you have time for them.
 I have a solution, but I don't know how it will work in real life: if you
manually click to see the notifications, when they disappear they should be
removed completely, assuming that if you clicked on the icon to see them,
you really read them as there is no reason keeping them "forever".
 Alternatively (or maybe together with this), I'd recommend an option, even
if it is a hidden, config file option only, to restore the old behavior of
clearing the notifications after they were shown (or after X minutes), so if
it turns out that the current way is not good enough, for 4.4 we can have a
not annoying notification area.

Andras