Review Request: KDE Observatory (new plasmoid)

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Nov 24 02:11:36 CET 2009

On November 23, 2009, Sandro Andrade wrote:
> > * i see that it uses Qwt in one class. this is likely to diminish both
> > the user base of it as well as it's "plasma-ness". does
> > Plasma::SignalPlotter give you something similar? if not, then a check in
> > the CMakeLists.txt file for Qwt is required
>
> I've tried the SignalPlotter but apparently its time-dependent
> approach doesn't properly fit the needs in commit history. I need to
> include data which are sparse in time and that would be harder to
> achieve. So, I keep using Qwt, cmake module was included, and checked
> in CMakeLists.txt.

i see; unfortunate since it really won't blend in with the rest of plasma at
all. perhaps we need a proper graph widget in libplasma at some point. oh well
... not the end of the world in this case.

> > * why is "enable transition effects" an option?
>
> I've kept this as an option because disabling effects makes view
> transition faster.

i really don't see the point of this at all. what benefit is there in making
the view transitions faster? if they are too slow, speed them up, don't offer
an option.

> > * it seems that whenever the data is updated, the "slide show" starts
> > from the beginning again; it looks a bit odd to have it start all over
> > again. could it simply keep going with the slideshow instead of
> > restarting it?
>
> That would be harder to implement since changing configurations often
>  implies in views being created or removed, making views tracking a little
>  bit difficult. Anyway, I think configuration operations aren't going to be
>  quite often.

iirc, it wasn't on configuration change, it was when new data arrived from the
online sources

> > * it would make the widget much more immediately approachable if there
> > were some project presets shipped, such as ones for kdelibs, kdepim,
> > kdegames, plasma, etc. do you have thoughts on how that would be best
> > achieved?
>
> Presets were created to almost all KDE main applications. See
> kdeobservatorypresets.cpp. These are loaded at first run, and can be
> removed, edited. New projects can also be added as previously described.

cool...

you should move this into kdeplasma-addons

humru othro a kohnu se