About KDE/plasma on small devices

Artur Souza (MoRpHeUz) morpheuz at openbossa.org
Mon Nov 23 19:26:08 CET 2009

Well, Aaron was fast than me for some answers :P

On Monday 23 November 2009, 14:48 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> it's close, but there will be things in it that just don't fit very well.
> fortunately, plasma encourages a highly modular design and so parts that do
> make sense can be shared between plasma-netbook and plasma-mobile without
>  much effort at all.

As aseigo said, it's close but at least my experience show that software
designed for one hardware usually should not be on a different hardware :).
That's why we have libplasma: to make it easy to write custom plasma "shells".
I really don't see the netbook shell "as is" on a phone. Some things will
probably be used like some of it's concepts, some implementation (as Marco
already pointed out) and other things, but we really need something for phones.

> yes; it could also be something more custom-fitted to a small screen,
> particularly when it comes to application transitions. see, for instance,
>  what the palm pre or even the iphone does in this area.

Yes, and also really finger friendly.

> i really think, given the size of the device, that an emphasis on full
>  screen apps and switching easily between them with nice visual effects
>  would be good.

+1.

> when it comes to the n900 itself, they use an expose-like effect which
>  would mean a different Plasma::View for each widget on the canvas. this is
>  actually not uncommon (it's how popup applets work in the icon-and-dialog
>  state, e.g. when in a panel in plasma-desktop).

I'm still unsure about this. Talking about the n900 we have a lot of
applications out there and probably we would need kwin to do this job. I think
that when we solve the problem of virtual desktops vs activities for the
desktop we might end up with a really nice idea for phones ;)

> i also wonder how much of the "this is a phone, let's make a phone call"
> interface could be put behind/inside a DataEngine/Service pair.

Yeah, I've wondering if the phone dialer would be something "desktop-shell"
related or yet another application....but the aspect of being a
dataengine/service makes me think about being a plasmoid too :) I liked this
idea :D

> if you ask questions, we can provide answers :)

Exactly. There is even a list maemo related for kde developers. Join that and
share your ideas with us so we don't duplicate effort on this ;)

Cheers!

Artur Duque de Souza
openBossa
INdT - Instituto Nokia de Tecnologia