About KDE/plasma on small devices

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 16:00:18 CET 2009

On Sunday 22 November 2009, Andreas Marschke wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> I've sent this request to the kde-devel mailing list before and would like
>  to get back to it with you guys here as Aaron suggested on kde-devel.
>
> I've been tinkering about KDE on smaller devices such s the n900 Aaron
>  luckily informed me about the playground project that is in place and will
>  probably be out on 4.4 (the plasma keyboard as far as I'm aware).
>
> In my humble opinion the best suited for the job is the netbook
>  shell.Things that are used on the mobile phone could be developed as a
>  plsmoid which would then just be added to the newspaper containment. This
>  would have the issue that you would get quite scared because most of the
>  mobilephone apps would have to be placed there.

yes, the components of the netbook shell are designed to be quite flexible, or
appear quite differently on different devices. Right now is possible for
instance to make the widgets in the newspaper plasmoid appear in a single line
of an horizontal layout, smootly scrolling left/right. this would be more
friendly to devices with the size of a n900.
i have also in playground an experimental shell suted to use plasmoids as
individual, fullscreen applications (think plasmoidviewer on steroids)

--
Marco Martin