kubuntu kdebase patches to plasma

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Nov 13 05:04:32 CET 2009

On November 12, 2009, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> kubuntu_19_always_show_kickoff_subtext.diff, the subtexts in kickoff
> sometimes show always and sometimes on mouse over, this makes that
> consistent.  It's been discussed here before.
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/%7Ekubuntu-members/kdebase-workspace/ubuntu/ann
> otate/head%3A/debian/patches/kubuntu_19_always_show_kickoff_subtext.diff

this patch is, usability-wise, wrong. the subtexts are shown when
disambiguation is necessary. otherwise you need to mouse over them to figure
out what's what.

> kubuntu_71_default_plasma_layout.diff has our changes to the default
> layout.  We used to do this with a config file override but that was
> unreliable.  It adds the microblog applet to the desktop (social from the
>  start, all the rage).  It adds quickaccess, showdesktop, networkmanagement
>  and our indicatordisplay applets to the panel.  The clock shows the date
>  by default, because I like to know what day it is.
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/%7Ekubuntu-members/kdebase-workspace/ubuntu/ann
> otate/head%3A/debian/patches/kubuntu_71_default_plasma_layout.diff

in 4.4 and beyond, you should use a plasma-desktop javascript for this. all
the flexibility you could ever want and then some, and you won't need to carry
a patch. see the docs in kdebase/workspace/plasma/design/plasma-desktop-
scripting and the examples in kdeexamples.

> kubuntu_91_plasma_autostart_condition.desktop is added so we can stop
> plasma-desktop being run for netbook edition.  It would be good to
> find a better way to select between plasma-desktop and plasma-netbook,
> preferably as an X session at KDM.
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/%7Ekubuntu-members/kdebase-workspace/ubuntu/ann
> otate/head%3A/debian/patches/kubuntu_91_plasma_autostart_condition.desktop

marco recently implemented this for 4.4. marco can elaborate.

> kubuntu_101_brightness_fn_keys_and_osd.diff adds a brightness on
> screen widget for brightness keys, it also needs patches to Qt and
> kdelibs to work
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/%7Ekubuntu-members/kdebase-workspace/ubuntu/ann
> otate/head%3A/debian/patches/kubuntu_101_brightness_fn_keys_and_osd.diff

if the patch is upstreamed in Qt, we can take a look at this one more closely.

humru othro a kohnu se