Network Management Plasmoid TODOs

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Nov 10 21:55:05 CET 2009

On November 10, 2009, Will Stephenson wrote:
> This will only work for WPA-PSK wireless connections though, for EAP,
>  cellular and VPN connections there are just too many mandatory settings to
>  show even a simplified view in the popup.  Do you want to introduce a
>  second interaction path just for a different type of wifi connection?

Given wireless will be the common case, especially the common case where
people change the settings a lot, I think this would be fine if not great.

Would Petri's suggestion be workable?

> Providing secrets in-popup also requires changing the separation between
>  the config UI and the control UIs.

Ah, that's probably even more problematic than the above issue ...

>  Right now the control UIs have no way
>  to modify connections at all.  We'd need a way for the control UI to tell
>  the backend to create a default-configured connection for a given SSID (or
>  cellular device, or whatever), activate it, receive the resulting
>  GetSecrets call from NM and forward that to the control UI, get secrets,
>  then pass the secrets back to NM.

Hm.. would it be possible to have the config UI put its widgets in a user-
defined container?

*thinks*

I suppose for this to work, the config UI would need to be able to ask the
control UI where to put some UI elements and be able to differentiate between
"simple" and "complex" UIs (as they might be treated differently).

this is sounding more and more like a KDE 4.5 goal :)

humru othro a kohnu se